All Properties are Zoned Multi-Use (MU), which permits most commercial uses. The City of Martindale in November, 2010, approved the sale of alcoholic beverages in restaurants and for off-premises.
Approximately 9,000 square feet plus loading docks and awning-covered gallery sidewalk. Currently interior is un-renovated. Long leaf pine floors, tin ceiling (replacement tiles available). Includes courtroom movie set location.
Approximately 2,000 square feet plus common bathroom area and back hallway and plus loading dock. Long leaf pine and mosaic tile floors. Includes vault. Space is renovated and has HVAC.
George Norman Martindale, the grandson of George and Nancy Martindale who founding the City of MartlndaJe in 1855, built the largest of Martindale's general stores from the finest D'Hanis red brick in about 1910. Employing vernacular commercial architecture, the building has15 foot ceilings, a long, awning-covered gallery sidewalk, and surface-mounted cast-iron columns framing the doorways. Many of the large storefront plate glass windows and all of the doors and hardware are original. The entire exterior of the building has been renovated: New roof, re-pointed brick throughout, wood trim and cast-iron elements painted in period colors. The property also Includes six large seed silos, a grain elevator, more than two acres of unimproved land and more than 300 feet of high-bank frontage on the San Marcos River.
(The rear portion of 404-B Main [approximately 2,000 square feet], which was originally the warehouse for the Martindale Mercantile Company, is currently rented.)
Approximately 4,000 square feet in store and 1,200 square feet In warehouse. After falling Into disrepair, the store building ,origlnally constructed by Benjamin Franklin Harper and operated as a general store for more than 62 years, the external elements of the building were completely rebuilt and restored with a new roof and skylight, new marble-stained concrete floor, re-polnted brick, wood trim painted In period colors and made handicap-accessible In 2009. Buildings have access to large common bathrooms in the adjacent Carl Building, newly constructed In a design compatible with streetscape In 2009. A portion of the flooring has been omitted to permit the construction of a restaurant kitchen to tenant's specifications. In addition to the double door entry to the Harper Store from Main Street, there is a handicap accessible double door entry facing Gonzales Street, a service door entry In the rear, and access to the common areas and bathroom facilities In rear of the Carl Building. The property also Includes a large outdoor patio area at the comer of Main and Gonzales Streets.
(The warehouse building, partially restored, is currently rented.)
Approximately 1,500 square feet of finished space, built In 2009 by owner Carlton Carl to a design compatible with the historic streetscape and adjacent buildings. Formerly an alleyway between the Crook Store and the Harper Brothers Store, the space was enclosed when the Harper Store was restored. The building contains two distinct spaces: the approximately 750 square foot storefront office or shop space and a handicap accessible bathroom as well as attic storage; and approximately 750 square feet of common bath room facilities (Women’s Room has four toilets, including one handicap stall; Men’s Room has two urinals and two toiles, including one handicap stall), also handicap accessible, adequate to serve the bathroom requirements of the Harper Store/Warehouse and the Crook Store and accessible from both.
(The front portion of the Carl Building is currently rented.)
Approximately 3,200 square feet of space. Hardy Crook, one of Martindale's first merchants built the D'Hanis red brick general store around the turn of the 20th Century. The building features long leaf pine flooring, plank walls, Tin ceilings. new roof and skylight, as well as a loading dock/storage area at the rear. Cast-Iron columns support the sidewalk awning. In recent years, several wedding receptions and private parties have been held in the building, which has access to the common areas and bathrooms at the rear of the Carl Building.
Approximately 1,000 square feet of space. Around 1920, Hardy Crook built the building of D'Hanis red brick adjacent to his dry goods store and set up one of his sons in business as a barber. The storefront has, over the years, housed a diner, an insurance office, and an antique store, as well as a food bank and second hand store, and been used for community gatherings.
(The Crook Building is currently rented.)
Approximately 3,700 square feet of space. This corrugated tin building was constructed around 1950 with long leaf pine flooring and bins, which were used for grain and seed storage. The property also Includes 10 large seed silos and space for parking or an outdoor, perhaps trellised, patio.
(All of the seed silos are currently rented for storage.)
Approximately 6,500 square feet of space. Over the years since Its founding In 1855, Martindale became, by some reckoning, "The Cottonseed Capitol of the World." It was also a center for hybrid seed corn. By the 1950s, Harper Seed Farms, founded by R. M. Harper In 1928, had become the largest supplier of hybrid cotton and corn seed In Texas. B.A and Emmett Harper built the wood clapboard and corrugated tin Harper Seed Company Office and Warehouse to serve as the company's International offices. It Included air conditioning, a large vault and a sprawling warehouse space. The property Includes a large outdoor area shaded by huge pecan trees-a potential patio area-and most of the privately owned Austin Street.